RCMP won't release any information on an investigation into a disruption at last month's Site C open house until the Independent Investigations Office (IIO) concludes its probe into the deadly police shooting that took place outside.
It's still unknown whether the man who reportedly flipped tables and knocked over posters at the BC Hydro event in Dawson Creek July 16 is under active investigation, or whether he could face charges.
The IIO initially believed the disruptor and the man shot dead by police, James McIntyre, were the same person. After a day of investigation, however, the police watchdog concluded they were not.
According to the IIO, that man left the scene and did not come into contact with police. Who he is remains a mystery.
While the IIO probe McIntyre's death, RCMP have been in charge of a "parallel" investigation into the disruption. Whether that investigation is still underway is also not clear.
"We can't release any information because we don't want to jeopardize the investigation the IIO is doing," North District Cpl. Dave Tyreman told the Alaska Highway News.
"What we'll do is let the IIO release their findings, and then we'll come out with the findings of the disturbance investigation. Until they conclude their (investigation), we won't release any information on the other file."
Tyreman did earlier confirm police searched an apartment building on 13th Street in connection with that investigation, but said the search turned up nothing of interest. The Coroners Service later confirmed that James McIntyre lived in the same building.
RELATED: Police raid apartment connected to Site C disruptor
Whether the man who disrupted the Site C event and McIntyre both lived in the complex remains to be seen.
The IIO investigation could take anywhere from six months to over a year to conclude.