The eighth season of Big Brother Canada has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
There are no plans to resume production at a later date for this season, which was scheduled to end May 21. The final episodes are expected to air on Wednesday and on April 1.
Rianne Swanson, 29, an operating room nurse from Chetwynd was still active on the show prior to the airing of Wednesday's episode.
The cancellation will have little impact for fellow northerner and Prince George contestant Micheal Stubley. The 25-year-old infantryman was voted out on week 2 of the show.
The move to end the show came after Ontario ordered a mandatory closure of all non-essential workplaces in the province starting Tuesday night.
Last week the companies said the Toronto-shot series had eliminated its live studio audience and heightened on-site sanitation and other precautionary safety measures.
They also noted the sequestered contestants had been given "a thorough update" about the outbreak situation and chose to remain on the show.
Since there will be no winner this season, plans for the prize money will be revealed in the final episode
Insight Productions said last week that the production had a resident doctor who had assessed and determined no houseguests had exhibited any signs or symptoms related to COVID-19.
— with files from The Canadian Press, Prince George Citizen