Peace Country Rentals celebrated its 40th anniversary in the Peace Region on Aug. 1, and has proved itself a true family business.
In 1959, George and Florence Soule, along with their son Wyatt moved from Vancouver to Fort St. John. As a welder, George wanted to work on the W.A.C. Bennett Dam, but was early for the project, so he worked in the oil patch. In 1962, he worked as a welder on the dam for six months.
He went back to the oil patch running backhoes and eventually owned three.
He took up Crown land in 1963, eventually owning five sections. He worked the backhoes and farm along with Wyatt until 1975. They sold the farm in 1976 and George went to work for Curtis Hoover the same year, managing the rental portion of a business they had purchased. In 1977, George, Wyatt and family purchased this business and called it Peace Country Rentals and Sales Inc.
In 1978, they opened a branch in Chetwynd and Wyatt and his wife Julia moved there to manage it. In 1986, Wyatt and family moved back to Fort St. John to manage this branch.
In the 1990s, Wyatt’s son Tyler started working at the shop. The shop also moved from 101 Avenue and 86 Street to the present location about this time. Wyatt and Julia also had two daughters, Kelsey Lusk and Ashley Bergen. Kelsey’s oldest boy Carter Lusk the great grandson now also works at PCR.