It is with great sadness that the remaining members of Fort St. John Elks Lodge #288 will surrender their Charter and cease serving our community.
The Lodge received its Charter on Aug. 25, 1944, with 96 Charter members, and was soon a large and very active group in this area.
The first Elks Hall was on Centre Avenue, and was burned down in 1948. The second Hall was on 101 Avenue, and was the scene of many Lodge and community functions.
The Lodge held a Peace River Ice Breakup Raffle and a Winter Carnival (Snowball Frolic, and a New Year’s Eve Dance), and all were widely supported.
In 1966, the Lodge proudly opened the Elks Sunset Home, which provided housing for many seniors in our town and surrounding area. Every December, the Elks and Royal Purple Lodges gave a Christmas Party for the residents, complete with Santa, carol singing, and gifts.
In 1971, the new Hall on 110 Avenue was a more modern and spacious building, and the addition of the second hall and lounge enabled the members to provide many groups with catering and bar services.
The Elks are very proud of their long history of community service. Over the years, they have made hundreds of donations to support local groups, and to assist children and their families. They also sponsored the Elks Speed Skating Club, and gave yearly bursaries to high school and college students.
Sadly, membership dwindled, the hall was sold, and although we have held our meetings at the Legion for many years, our Lodge is no longer able to function.
We would like to thank Fort St. John and the surrounding area for their support of our hall events, perogy booth at the Fall Fair, raffles, and many other fundraising efforts. It was with your help that we were able to serve this community for 76 years, and it was very much appreciated by our Lodge.
— Orva Moore, Exalted Ruler, Elks Lodge No. 288
- - - - - -
Send your letters to email@example.com