Skip to content

BC Hydro loses bid for early court date

BC Hydro had a court setback recently when its motion to have a Federal court hear its case this spring to build the Site C dam shot down.

BC Hydro had a court setback recently when its motion to have a Federal court hear its case this spring to build the Site C dam shot down.

Maegen Giltrow, a lawyer for the Peace Valley Landowners Association, said that BC Hydro sought to have the Federal court trial division hear the case in May, but that motion was denied.

Giltrow said that her side, BC Hydro, and affected First Nations are looking to appear in court this summer, subject to the courts availability.

She said courts have asked the lawyers on both sides, as well as the federal and provincial governments — since they are also party to the lawsuit — to submit their July and August availability dates.

The Peace Valley Landowners Association, which consists of homeowners whose lands would be flooded by the dam's reservoir, are asking courts to intervene.

Numerous First Nations have also attempted to stop the construction of the dam.

These court motions have been made in both the provincial and Federal levels, and so far no decision one way or another has been made. 

Giltrow went on to say that “nobody has brought an injunction application” yet to try and stop work on the dam.

BC Hydro has already moved the beginning of construction from January to summer.

Dave Conway, a BC Hydro spokesman, confirmed that no court date had been set on the Federal level. 

“Our current project schedule is to start site preparation and construction in summer 2015, and we are continuing to work toward this schedule,” he wrote.

Rob Lidstone, another lawyer for the case, said that so far, the only firm date is for the B.C. Supreme Court to hear the case on April 20.   

reporter@ahnfsj.ca